As you can see from the number of previous posts on this blog that I have not been prolific with my ramblings so far. Part of the reason for that has been the awful BloggerÂ interface (provided by Google) and the fact that I wanted to run my blog from my own domain name. (Of course the other reason is that I have been very busy – thanks to all my clients and customers!)
A colleague had enthused about WordPress as an alternative but I had been reluctant as it is based on a different technology that I wasn’t sure I had the time to get to grips with. Google obviously understood my needs and decided to prevent usersÂ running blogs on their own domains from remotely updating their blogs. ThisÂ meant me having to bit the bullet and take a look at WordPress. Thank you Google – why didn’t you do this before?
Even after a couple of small problems I can see that WordPress is far superior -Â EasyÂ to use from the outset with no coding experience required to get up and running. It has a lagrge community of enthusiasts that create themes and plugins that canÂ completely change the way your site looks andÂ functions. The best bit is that a lot of this is completely free.Â
So once again I thank Google for forcing me inspiring me to take a look at WordPress – What great guys!
Whilst checking my sites through the Google Webmaster tools today I discovered that some duplicate content was being reported on two pages for Meta Descriptions and Title Tags.
On closer inspection it was actually the same page but Google had a listing for it that included a variable string that was nothing to do with me.
Original page link
This was obviously an attempt by someone to mess with my sites listings in Google or to promote information about another site. I checked for the link in Google using
but as expected got no results
Then I searched for “?ref=Guzels.tv” and got 1,460,000 results!
How and why and what could be done by Google?
- It would appear likely that there would have been a number of pages on a temporary website that listed the urls with the additional query string “?ref=Guzels.tv”
- It seems obvious that his is an orchestrated campaign to create a presence for Guzels.tv
- I am somewhat surprised that this seemingly obvious technic is not already captured by Googles algorithms and if not I would suggest that this should be looked at ASAP. In the meantime it would also make sense to find someway of removing the majority of the 1,460,000 results
I used VBScript to check for the variable and then perform a 301 redirect to the page without the variable
NewRef = Request.QueryString(“ref”)
If NewRef <> “” Then
Response.Status=”301 Moved Permanently”
Response.AddHeader “Location”, “http://www.nursing-agencies-list.com/email_arch4.asp”
I’ve just been exploring Google Analytics – a tool for creating useful and usable statistics for your website and what your visitors do if and when they get to it.
To be honest I’m not blown away by what it does because I have a tool that I bought 6 years ago which does the same thing using my downloaded server logs. It was even updated after I thought all updating had ceased so now includes the latest operating systems and browsers in the reports – 123loganalyzer.
Anyway after taking a look I navigated back to my Google account page and it was in Russian (of course not being fluent in Russian it could have been another cyrrillic language but I am taking a wild guess).
First thoughts were that perhaps Russia has decided to knock out our communications network by taking over Google and then I wondered whether I had inadvertently reset the default language. I logged out and logged back in and the language was set back to English.
So OK I might sound a little paranoid by cyberterrorism is set to be the new black in 2008.
ÐŸÐ¾Ð¼Ð½Ð¸Ñ‚Ðµ, Ñ‡Ñ‚Ð¾ Ð’Ñ‹ ÑƒÑÐ»Ñ‹ÑˆÐ°Ð»Ð¸ ÑÑ‚Ð¾ Ð·Ð´ÐµÑÑŒ Ð¿ÐµÑ€Ð²Ñ‹Ð¹ Ñ‚Ð¾Ð²Ð°Ñ€Ð¸Ñ‰
(Remember you heard it here first comrade!)